Ivan is an Associate at KTA Advocates where he works with the dispute resolution, TMT and transaction advisory teams of the firm.
He is an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda, a holder of a Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre and has an LL.B from Uganda Christian University (UCU) where he was also the President of the UCU Law Society.
Ivan also has a Post-Graduate Diploma in Tax and Revenue Administration from The East African School of Taxation (PODITRA), Post-graduate Certificates in Trade Law and Policy and Trade Facilitation from the Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa (trapca) and has received specialized training in Public-Private Partnerships (PPP’s), International Arbitration and Technology.
He is currently undergoing the prestigious Young Institute of Transnational Arbitration (ITA) inaugural mentorship program where he is being mentored by a distinguished International Arbitration practitioner, Barton Legum of the global elite law firm, Dentons, Paris, with this mentorship program facilitated by Christel Tham of the Permanent Court of Arbitration (PCA).
Ivan has in the past been awarded the prestigious Lex:lead (Lawyers for Economic Advancement and Development) scholarship in 2015 for his outstanding essay on law and development. His scholarship award came from one of Africa’s premier law firms, Cliffe Dekker Hofmeyr. He has also won two other international essay competitions.
He is also quite published and has had some of his scholarship appear in “Africa Law Today” and also the International Bar Association Foundation. He has even previously been a Research Associate with an Arbitration network called “ArbitRatio” and is a regular contributor to the American Bar Association Year In Review (ABA YIR). The ABA YIR is a publication that presents a survey of important legal and political developments that have happened all over the world.
Ivan is a regular speaker at conferences on especially legal topics for example to mention but a few, he spoke at the African Bar Association, 2018 in Nairobi, Kenya, the Legal Tech Conference 2019, The Annual Symposium on Intellectual Property, Technology and Innovation, the KTA Copyright Conference, the African International Economic Law Network (AfIELN) 4th Biennial Conference taking place at Strathmore University, Nairobi Kenya from the18th to 20th of July 2019 and the 1st East African Community Conference on the 15th of March, 2019 at Skyz Hotel, Kampala.
- International Trade law and Policy
- International Arbitration
- Regional Integration
- Corporate & Commercial law
- Intellectual Property
- Media and Telecommunications
- LLB, Uganda Christian University
- Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, LDC – Kampala
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Tax and Revenue Administration from The East African School of Taxation (PODITRA).
- Post-graduate Certificate in Trade Facilitation from the Trade Policy Training Centre in Africa (TRAPCA)
- Uganda Law Society
- East African Law Society
- Member Young Institute of Transnational Arbitration (ITA).
- Member Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA).
- Student Member Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb).
- Lex:Lead (Lawyers for Economic Advancement and Development) Ambassador.